Six ways to reduce your single use plastic footprint!
1. Give up plastic bags. Take your own reusable ones to the store. A trillion plastic shopping bags are used worldwide every year.
2. Skip straws. Unless you have medical needs, and even then you could use paper ones.
3. Pass up plastic bottles. Invest in a refillable water bottle. Some come with filters if you’re worried about water quality. Around the world, nearly a million plastic drinks bottles are sold every minute.
4. Avoid plastic packaging. Buy bar soap instead of liquid. Buy in bulk. Avoid produce sheathed in plastic. And while you’re at it, give up plastic plates and cups.
5. Recycle what you can.
6. Don’t litter. Of the top 10 types of beach litter, the only non-plastic item is glass bottles. Worldwide, 73 percent of beach litter is plastic: cigarette butts (the filters), bottles and caps, food wrappers, grocery bags, polystyrene containers.
Full article from National Geographic magazine here